STRINGPOOL - 2.5GB of beautifully played clean and brutally textured violin bowing with BPM synced modwheel speed control - play a note and move the modwheel to bow faster or slower, push down on your keyboard for aftertouch controlled volume swelling.
The design process of STRINGPOOL meant forcing virtuoso violinist Sophia Bartlette into many painful days of tortuous sampling (nobody really enjoys sampling - don't ever let them make you think otherwise). While I quietly slurped coffee Sophia teased hours of beautifully lyrical long bowed single notes from her 200 year instrument. For every note, four different bowing speeds with a hint of vibrato. She truly suffered for our art.
From these hours of recordings I created hundreds of seamless, clean single note loops and an alternative set of 'treated' samples mangled through tape, valves and Sound Dust malarky.
Then it was all poured into a complex Kontakt engine with a simple interface and wealth of expressive possibilities.
The true joy of STRINGPOOL is that you can morph in realtime through the BPM synced bowing tempo divisions with the modwheel (or CC1) while also using your keyboard aftertouch (or a CC of your choice) for volume expression to create realistically human violining sounds. Also every control can be automated in your DAW or midi learned for unrealistically human violining sounds.
STRINGPOOL may never sound 'quite' as good as Sophia in full flow - but for MUCH less pain you can get a little of her magic and a little bit of Sound Dust magic on your tracks.
What I really love about String Pool is how naturally expressive it is in a way I haven't encountered before. Having volume swells on tap through aftertouch and being able to switch bowing speeds on the fly allows for really sensitive and reactive programming. Add the effects on the XY in to taste and get weird- Marcus Thorne Bagala - composer This American Life, Chompers and Dress Codes
STRINGPOOL - the small print
2.44GB download - requires a healthy chunk of computer RAM
Versions for Kontakt 5.8 and Kontakt 6.1.1
6 instruments (.nki) per Kontakt version
- BPM synced - Chorus, Filter and Grit
- Low CPU 100BPM - Chorus, Filter and Grit
75 starter snapshots (total)
2 sample sets - CLEAN and TREATED
Classic Sound Dust RTFM instruction manual built into interface
- Modwheel hardwired to bowing speed control (or use CC1) - tempo synced
- Realtime waveform display
- Master volume control - cc map-able (handy instead of aftertouch for expression)
- Velocity to volume control
- Pitch bend depth - from 1 semitone to 12
- Aftertouch to voulme control - for handy expression control
- Volume attack, decay, sustain and release
- Clean or Treated sample set selection
- Note lock control - spreads last played note across whole keyboard for crazy old school sampling.
- Trem Chaos - randomises tremolo lfo shape (but still tempo synced)
- Legato - sets sample set to legato mode - new note play continues from last note position
- Precise readout of XY pad control values
- Convolution impulse select - 80 custom made IRs - 8 categories- 10 impulses per category
- Tape saturation + distortion, chorus or low and high pass filter - depending on .nki
- Tremolo - frequency (tempo synced) X - depth Y
- Convolution - amount dry X - amount wet Y
- Solid G equaliser - 1 band = 600 hz to 7 khz- frequency X - amount Y
- Midi learn triangles - for external controllers to learn XY pucks
- Stereo width control - from mono to w i d e
- On/off and reset controls per effect (click effect icon)
Kontakt 6 version
- Replika delay - 5 amazing sounding delay machine types
- 20 Replika delay presets
FULL version of Kontakt 5.8.1 or above is required for Kontakt 5 version
FULL version of Kontakt 6.1.1 or above is required for Kontakt 6 version
STRINGPOOL will load into Kontakt Player but time out after 10 minutes, so please don't buy this unless you are using the FULL versions of Kontakt
see also CHOIRPOOL